“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

One Big Happy Family Pt. 2

In my post yesterday, I talked about family, specifically our little tribe of five.
But family to me runs even deeper. We are surrounded by moms and dads (I have a mom, a stepdad, a dad and a stepmom!), grandmas and a grandpa, aunts and uncles, and a whole lot of cousins. We have sisters and brothers. And we have friends. Wonderful, loving, supportive friends.
Friends are family you choose for yourself. And just as the family I was born into is an awesome one to belong to, the friends I have chosen (or who have chosen me) are absolutely amazing.Caring, supportive, truly awesome people that have become over time another extension of the family. These are the people who have celebrated me at my best and accepted me at my worst. They have stood with me and hoped for the impossible, encouraged big dreams, and love me despite my many flaws, not because they are obligated, but simply because they do. :) Having people like this in my life (you all know who you are without me saying....cause we're just that good) is an immense blessing in itself, any time. But their presence, their acceptance, their overflowing love for not just me, but all of us throughout the last year has been truly a God-send.
While we were in those first glowing days of knowing we were pregnant, despite John and I's agreement to keep it hush-hush, there were just people I had to tell. My mom, my grandma, my aunt, my sisters. My best friends. Who rejoiced with me knowing the Hell I had gone through before and how small the likely hood that I could get pregnant was. When those first text messages and phone calls started going out when we were about 16 weeks pregnant that Liddy had a higher possibility of having Down's Syndrome, all I got in return was a constant stream of unwavering support, oodles of prayers, and more love than I could have possibly dreamed. And when the confirmation came, every one of them said it didn't matter. They already loved her too.
They love her for the amazing little girl she is. And that has nothing to do with Down's Syndrome.
Have I lost friends because my daughter has DS? Nope. Not a single one. Our friendships have grown stronger and my love for them has grown deeper. I appreciate them more than they know....and even if it's been weeks since I have seen them or talked to them, they still love me. :)
I have also gained quite a few new ones because of DS. Wonderful, strong, caring women that I never would have had the opportunity to know if not for the little club we all have a lifetime membership to. They uplift me. They commiserate. They pray their little hearts out. They comment. They support. Amazing.
If this is what DS brings with it, bring.it.on. :)

PS Sorry there aren't any pictures. I'm having trouble keeping up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)