“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Incredible Pressure Leads To Incredible beauty

Dearest Lydia,




While reading a book this afternoon, I ran across a line that spoke to my heart. It reminded me of something that I always told my patients when I worked in oncology, and it is always, always an inspiration to me when tough times come to call. 
You aren't old enough to have started the love affair with diamonds that all ladies seem to have. But someday you will. I find that the most amazing thing is not necessarily the diamond itself, but how it is made.
A single piece of ordinary coal. Black. Dirty. Nothing special. 
Over thousands of years, even millions, that plain piece of coal is put under tremendous pressure and exposed to 700 degree heat. Its a delicate balance. If the conditions are not just right, the coal becomes graphite. Another ordinary element. But with exactly the right environment, that little lump of coal becomes something truly special. A glittering, beautiful treasure. 
I think life is a lot like that. Some people seem to have it easy. Their lives move along with very little pressure, very little heat. There isn't anything truly special about them; they are ordinary, plain, even a little boring. 
Others face tremendous hardships, heartaches, and pain. They are the ones that others walk away from, shaking their heads, and thinking, "I'm glad that's not us." They are the ones who are the subjects of our prayers, our compassion, our pity. The amazing thing is that they don't ask for any of those things, or even expect them or want them. 
Truth is, they should be envied. They are the chosen ones. God has hand picked them to become His most valuable treasures, His diamonds. 
We, you and I, are His diamonds in the rough, Lydia. And I feel that we are so immensely blessed because of it. Do we have extra hurts, cry extra tears, and face extra obstacles? Yes. But each of these refines us and makes us more beautiful in His eyes. 



XOXOXOXO, 
Mommy

5 comments:

  1. very nice...and very well put...I needed this pick me up today! great post for me to think on! thank you...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Wishing your little diamond keeps on getting better!

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)