“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Happy 1/4 Year Birthday!

My dearest sweet Lydia,

    You are four days from being three months old and you have yet to cease amazing me. Had anyone told me a few years ago that now I would have another baby who had Down's and be so happy about it, I would have told them they were insane. I never planned on having more children and until I met your daddy really thought that I didn't want to. In reality, I just already thought what the doctors hadn't yet said, that I couldn't. But meeting Daddy made me dream again and I dreamed so much of having a little girl. When the doctors said it wouldn't happen, it broke my heart even though they were only confirming what I already knew in my heart. Then you. :) The most wonderful surprise! You are so much more than I ever could have dreamed, Liddy, the piece of my heart that was missing without me even knowing it. And now, even after knowing you for such a short time, I can't imagine my life without you in it. I am in awe of your beauty, your sunshine personality, your strength, your determination and most of all, that you are mine. Every little smile is a wonder, every cuddle a gift, and every day a blessing greater than I could ever put into words.

     The other day, at Caleb's doctor's office, someone said spontaneously, "Down's babies are so beautiful." I was taken aback for a moment because even though you having DS is a reality and one we deal with constantly, no one has ever said anything about it when they have met you before without being told. I don't see Down's when I look at you. I see  big blue eyes,  chubby cheeks,  soft crazy hair, crooked pinkies, and a gorgeous gummy smile. I see, quite simply, my baby girl. The one whose smile makes my day, and whose baby babbling fascinates me endlessly. The one who seems to perfectly fit in my arms and who had to have been made just to be my cuddlebug. The determined little being who is in such a hurry to grow up and is so fascinated with everything around her. I watch you drink everything in and I see the world as a different place right along with you. :) You have changed me and there isn't a word that could adequately thank you for being my daughter. I love you so much that my heart hurts, Liddybug, and I am forever grateful to God that He made you so beautifully perfect and gave you to me! Now I am going to go in, pick up my sleeping angel and snuggle you tight before I tuck you into bed. :) Sweet dreams, sugar plum. xoxoxoxo Mommy

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! looking forward to sharing this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)