“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Friday, January 13, 2012

6 Month Heartiversary....

Dearest Liddy,
Tomorrow, it has officially been 6 months since the day we handed you to a very skilled surgeon, praying with all of our hearts that you would be returned to us, with a whole and healthy heart. By far the scariest day of my entire life, followed by some of the worst days I have ever experienced, sitting beside your still tiny form waiting for a glimpse of your sweet smile. 
Some days, it is so hard to reconcile those memories with the beautiful reality that I live with every day.


You are a 16 pound wonder.....full of all of the best of your daddy and I, along with a little magic that is entirely your own. Full of laughter, full of smiles, full of slobbery kisses. Proudly bearing the scars that attest to where you have been and what you have been through, giving me renewed hope every day of where we are going...together.


Before you were born, I didn't really know how big my dreams for you could be. I was so focused on the battle that you would have to undergo just to live and all of my dreams for the future revolved around all of us surviving open heart surgery.  Now that it is fading behind us, my dreams for you have grown to enormous proportions. 
Make no mistake. YOU WILL CHANGE THE WORLD. 


I'm not sure that I have ever believed in something so strongly.
Every single time I look at the stripes of scars which cross your chest and belly, my faith in this in renewed. Never doubt for a second that they are truly badges of honor and they are one of the most beautiful things I have ever laid eyes on. 6 months of looking at them every day and I still am moved almost to the point of tears.


Enclosed in that tiny chest is a broken heart made brand new. Enclosed there is one of the most vital parts of you, miraculously healed. Enclosed there is the reason you are still here with me...smiling, babbling, and making me smile. 
There is no better gift. 



You are the dream of my heart. And as amazing as the dream was, the reality is even more than I could have wished for. 


One step at a time. I will love you a thousand years, baby girl.
Happy heartiversary!
XOXOXO,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Very well written and spoken for the rest of us mommies and daddies that have been there.

    Cheryl Ford Travis

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet...Happy Heartiversary :)

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)