“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Month of Thankfulness

A whole lot of my friends on facebook are doing something that I think is rather special for the month of November. Every day they put one thing they are thankful for as their status. I personally think this is a super idea, and since every day I make an attempt to faithfully count my blessings one by one, I'm going to attempt to write a post every day this month giving thanks for them all. 
I'm already 2 days behind!

Today I am thankful for my husband. 


When I got divorced nearly 5 years ago, I swore to myself that I would never get married again. 
Two years later, I met John. 





I have been privileged to not only know him and have him as a part of my life, but to also watch the man I already loved change and grow into an even more amazing person. A wonderful, caring father and eventually, despite my vow to the contrary, an absolutely amazing husband. 
 

I already knew that I loved him wholeheartedly when he moved his terminally ill father in with us. Watching him care for his dad, getting the chance to watch the two of them together, only made me love him more. I personally do not know very many men who would willingly, lovingly, take on the responsibility, the sacrifices, that were required to do this for their father at such a young age. At the age of 26, he was dealing with funeral plans, hospice nurses, and watching his father fade before his eyes. Pretty heavy stuff. He did it all gracefully. And I thought I could never be prouder of him.
He hasn't always been a poster child for responsibility. He has made mistakes early on, before I met him, that still affect his life. But he has overcome those and has became a better person because of them. Because of my being a small part of his metamorphosis, I have become a better person as well.


He desperately wanted another son, because as he said once, he has spent his entire life trying to understand women and still hasn't a clue. But one look at his tiny princess and he was head over heels in love.

Watching the two of them together has only strengthened the love and respect I have for him. 


He is an awesome provider for our family. I have known him to sell things that mean a lot to him in order to pay bills, buy Christmas presents, and even make a trip to Florida to give me my dream of being married in the white sand when money was tight. He has loved and supported me, allowing me to follow my dreams, even when it means that he is forced to work that much harder in order for me to do so. When tough times came to call and I was at my lowest following Liddy's diagnosis, it was his quiet words, "You're going to love this baby more than you ever imagined possible" that stand out as the brightest spot in some of the darkest days.
Turns out that not only is he awesome, he's pretty darn wise as well.


I can't imagine making it through the last year without him by my side. Without him to share the pain and the worry, and without him to encourage me when I most desperately needed it.



I thought I loved him then.
Little did I know back then how much more it was possible to love him now.

 

John Thomas Ehle, I am beyond proud to be your wife and to stand beside you in this crazy thing called life. This family is my life and not a day goes by that I don't sincerely thank God for bringing you into it. I love you even more today than I did 2 years ago when we stood in the warm sand and said "I do." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)