“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Monday, November 14, 2011

Being Special

My dearest Liddy,
I had hoped to write a post each day this month about what I am thankful for. I have failed miserably. I truly AM thankful for so very many things in my life and although it was a noble quest to proclaim my many blessings to the world, God and I are very aware of exactly what each and every one of them are because we talk them over every day. :)


I haven't written to you in over a month and I feel that it's past time.
There is much in the news about a new non-invasive test which can be administered to pregnant mothers at around the 10 week mark. This test is purported to have 99% accuracy in diagnosing DS, without an amniocentesis. It's said to be the next great thing, a medical break through. Yet all I can think about is how many babies like you will now never get the chance to live because of it. It's a thought that breaks my heart into tiny little pieces. 


Each of us is created differently. We are all unique. Being special isn't something that anyone should have to make apologies for, or defend, or experience ridicule for. Our uniqueness is what makes us beautiful. 


 The tiny differences that come with your extra chromosome aren't enough to make you unworthy of the same opportunities and respect that others have. In my eyes, they make you more worthy.



 You haven't even spent an entire year on this Earth, yet you have been through more than most adults. You have faced every challenge placed in your path, scaled virtual mountains that would seem insurmountable to many, with awe inspiring grace and a beaming smile on your face. Your strength, your determination, are an inspiration to all who meet you and even strangers are captivated by your laughter and your smile. You meet life head on and aspire to do great things already. 
I am so proud to be your mother and I can only imagine how proud I will be in the future as I watch you dream big dreams and chase them without reservation.


A few years ago, I could have never imagined that DS would be a part of my life. Yet now, I simply can't imagine a life without it.
A life without you snuggled against me...without the scent of your hair...without your precious baby babble...without  your big blue eyes and your gorgeous smile....without your crooked pinkies and your sandal feet..without your ever present laughter and your silly faces... is just not a life that I ever want to experience.


 We never knew what we were missing before you came into our lives.
You are the reason for the smile on my face. You are the very stars that light up my nights and the sun that lights up my days. 
So despite a world that thinks that it might be better off without DS in it, never ever forget that my world is a better place for your existence. I am better because of your existence. You bring out the best in me, wee Bug, and that's something that I can never repay you for. 
Your uniqueness makes you you. Never apologize for it. Never allow anyone to put you down because of it. And never ever hide that spark within you. You make this world beautiful, alive and full of color. 


 I love you so much.....

XOXOXO, 
Mommy

3 comments:

  1. That little smile is CONTAGIOUS! The third pic from the bottom up is my favorite- I love crinkly-eyed smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your letters to your daughter are always so beautiful to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you from Pudge and Biggs, and your daughter is too adorable! Love this post. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)