“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Friday, November 11, 2011

All Gave Some, Some Gave All

I want to take a minute from all the hustle and bustle to proudly say that I am thankful for every service man or woman, not just today, but every day. 
These men and women don't ask for praise or gratitude, even though they greatly deserve these and more. They don't consider themselves brave and shy away from being called heroes. 
But they are. 
Sacrificing time away from family and friends, missing birthdays, Christmases and other holidays, to do their thankless jobs. They don't get vacations, or holidays off. Sometimes they go days without sleep or food. They sometimes watch their brothers and sisters in arms fall beside them. They are privy to horrors that most of us can not imagine, images which often replay themselves in the mind for many years to come. Why? So that the rest of us can sleep soundly in our beds tonight and every night, knowing that we are safe and free.
I don't think it's too much to ask of any of us to show our appreciation every chance we get....
Our freedom comes with an often steep price, friends. The price of sacrifice, blood, sweat and tears that every single soldier freely pays...for us.



My family has had it's share of soldiers (and sailors). My great-grandfather was in the navy during WWII. My father-in-law served in Vietnam. My brother-in-law has served several tours of duty in war torn places such as Iraq and Afghanistan. And my nephew is in Iraq now.
These brave men have said goodbye to their children, to their wives, to their families knowing that their very lives might be in jeopardy, that there was a chance that they might not make it home. Knowing full well that those who stand beside them, proudly wearing the uniform of whatever branch of military they are in, may not be standing beside them when they make it back home. Hard thoughts to swallow......yet they do, because it is their job to worry about things the rest of us barely acknowledge.
I am beyond proud to know these men. I am beyond proud to call them family. And I am humbled that so many choose to do what others will not. Lay down their lives if necessary for me. For you. For thousands of others who they will never meet face to face. 


Please remember those who have laid down their lives for you. Be very thankful. 
Pray for peace.....
I know my prayers are filled with pleas for the safe return of one soldier who is dear to this family.....

Happy Veteran's Day! Thank a soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)