“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Monday, September 12, 2011

Recognized as an Official Member of the Club

Dearest Liddy,
When you were born, I worried about how the world in general would accept you. Would they stare at you? Would they pity us? Would they think that you are less than the amazing creation you are just because you might look a little different? These are not worries that I am proud of having but it is what it is.
It didn't take long to find that this isn't an issue that we have run into much so far. I can only think of three strangers who have ever approached us and said anything about you having Down's Syndrome. The first completely stunned me speechless. Not because what was said was unkind in any way. Simply because by that time I had gotten used to it NOT being remarked on. The second left me full of motherly indignation. Again not because anything was said unkindly, but because this, I'm sure, well meaning lady told me that you were beautiful but all babies with Down's Syndrome were beautiful. This left me bristling because in MY eyes, you aren't beautiful because you have Down's Syndrome. You're beautiful just because you are you. 


 All of which leads me to the third random encounter. I took you to the doctor on Thursday. As soon as we walked in, I noticed a beautiful little girl, probably around 9 years old, sitting with her mom in the waiting room. I knew instantly that we were part of the same special club. As I sat down with you and settled you into my lap, the little girl was completely fascinated by you. As she chattered away to you, I think you instantly recognized that little bit of something extra in her as well, and rewarded her with a blinding grin. And (as I choked back tears) she turned to her mom and whispered, "Look Mommy. She's just like me." Even though her mom and I never exchanged a word, the smile between us spoke volumes. It was a "Hello. I know you. You're part of the club too" look.
This entire exchange took probably less than 5 minutes. Caleb, who was sitting right beside us, didn't even notice. Yet it sincerely touched my heart. 


As we were leaving, we passed another little boy in the parking lot. Again, I just KNEW. And as we got in the car, I remarked to Caleb that in all the times I have taken you to that doctor's office, I have never run into anyone else who had Down's Syndrome. He said, "What? Who had Down's Syndrome?". As I told him, he looked at me in shock and said, "But how did you know?"
I just did. My heart saw that extra magical chromosome from a mile away, and recognized, without speaking, another member of this wonderful club we now belong to.


I know that seemingly insignificant encounter is one that I will be carrying around in my heart for a long time. 
"But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart"~Luke 2:19




I love you, my wee Bug.
XOXOXOXO,
Mommy

6 comments:

  1. Who knew how great this club was before we really "saw' it. Now we know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I've found myself looking forward to experiences like this, but haven't had them yet. I have seldom run into another member of the "club" without it being intentional. This is a very nice story about just that. I love that the little girl recognized what they have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, I thought I had cried a lot of tears on your last post, but this one had me too! Love what that little girl said to her mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those special "you're in the club too" encounters and I am happy you got to experience one!

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)