“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Little Reminder...


It has been unseasonably beautiful here in Indiana for the entire week. Liddy and I have been taking full advantage of the string of nearly 80 degree days, spending a little time outdoors each day. I'm pretty sure that she had forgotten the feel of sunshine on her face and the breeze blowing in her hair. She also notices things more now than she did the last time we were able to spend time outside.....which leads to a whole lot of new discoveries (including her shadow!).
I find myself thanking God again and again for showing me the world through this baby's eyes. Because of her, I am seeing a world that is a whole lot brighter....and a whole lot more amazing.

I needed the reminder.




Spending the extra time with her has reminded me that my baby will only be a baby for a little while longer...She is, in fact, quickly leaving behind the infant she was not so long ago and becoming more the little girl that I can expect to see a whole lot more of in the future. Every day that passes brings a little more independence and a lot more personality......Despite the fact that she sometimes seems miles behind in the major milestones of her "typical" peers, who have left behind crawling for more efficient modes of transportation while she still struggles to crawl, the little girl still steadily emerges. 


It wasn't me, I swear!






The last few weeks have brought about a virtual explosion of language...and irrevocable proof that she understands everything that is going on around her. 

I wasn't expecting that, although she might not be right where I would have expected her to be developmentally were it not for DS, the remaining vestiges of babyhood would quickly fade away anyway.
I needed the reminder.





As I tucked her into bed tonight, I took the extra time to play with her for a little while. Bedtime is the very best time of the day with her...not because she will soon fade into peaceful sleep, but because in those last few moments of the day, she is overflowing with laughter. As she fills my ears with the sound of her giggles, as I can't help but laugh along with her, the rest of the world fades away and time stands still, even if for only a moment. These precious minutes are fleeting...they are special. 
I needed the reminder. 






So tonight I sit here, in the quiet house, while my baby girl dances amid whatever it is that babies dream of, and I am beyond grateful for the changes this little girl has brought to my life. I am praising the slower pace that has allowed me a little extra time to enjoy this fleeting moment. Thankful for the path that has brought our family here, to this moment.
By the grace of God....I am constantly reminded that while this may not have been the road we set out on, the beauty here is unfathomable.....





I hit my knees. Now here I stand.
There I was. Now here I am.
I am changed......for the better.


5 comments:

  1. I love all of this so much. But especially the wide smile in the third picture up from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a photogenic baby...but not always so cooperative in the smiling department. :) That picture is her "I'm humoring you. Now could you please stop taking pictures?" smile. lol

      Delete
  2. The pictures on here are beautiful!! Liddy looks adorable in pink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a color yet that she doesn't look amazing in...but pink (and yellow) are definitely my favorites!

      Delete
  3. love love love your little one. she reminds me of my sweet Gracie! Great post! Katie

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)