“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
~A.A. Milne, from "Winnie the Pooh"

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Counting Blessings

Tonight, as I sit here in my warm house, with both of my babies tucked in for the night, I am so immensely thankful for a whole slew of things.



I know that when I get up in the morning, I will be greeted by the sweetest smile on the prettiest face and after the week this community has had, I find that, for me, snuggling my precious baby is something that I will never take for granted. Something that I will never cease thanking God for. 


What the last few months have taught me more than anything else is that life, all of our lives, are so fleeting. Much too fleeting, much to fragile, to not appreciate fully what our blessings are and to give praise to God for seeing fit to allow us another day with those we love.


 This year, I am thankful for a daughter with a healthy heart...a precious child who has changed me in indescribable ways for the better. She makes me a better person simply by existing.


 I am thankful for an amazing son, who never ceases to surprise me with his compassion, his confidence and his wonderfully sweet spirit. He is a voice for the downtrodden, the hurting, the abused..and I am constantly in awe of the young man I have had a hand in raising thus far.
I am thankful for a husband who has stood beside me through one of the roughest years of my life. He has held my hand, he has held me, he has been the rock that I leaned on. I'm so grateful that he came into my life and don't know what I would do without him.
I am thankful for an extended family who has loved and supported us, who have brought goodies to the hospital, who have held our hands in waiting rooms, who love my Liddy unconditionally. They have never failed us. Not once. 
I am thankful for so many friends, both old and new. Old friends who have celebrated our miracle with us every single step of the way, who have called and visited, who have went out of their way to make it known that we are loved...every single one of us. New friends who have shown me unconditional love, support, and friendship, who have celebrated (sometimes from afar) every accomplishment, prayed over every fear, laughed with me, cried with me. Friends are the family we choose for ourselves, and I could not be more blessed in the friends I have chosen.
I am thankful for a beautiful older daughter who longs to be a part of our lives, who is growing to be an amazing woman. (I got your note a few months ago, sweetie, and I love you no matter what. All is forgiven. There was nothing to forgive in the first place.)

I am immensely thankful that in a few days, I will be surrounded by some of the people I love most in this world, eating wonderful food, among awesome company. Even those who are no longer with us in body will be there in spirit, I'm positive. And life just doesn't get much better than that.......



What are you thankful for this year?

PS Please continue to keep baby Iris' family in your prayers during your Thanksgiving celebrations. While most of us have a whole lot to be thankful for this year, they have lost one of their greatest blessings. While the rest of us are cooking up a storm, they will be laying their sweet angel to rest. Just say a few prayers for their continued strength, and some sort of peace. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I read every single comment and I love them all! Please leave us one (and imagine me doing a happy dance when I see it!)